Sunday, May 27, 2012

"A woman is like a tea bag;

you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water."  This quote by Eleanor Roosevelt is the theme chosen for the current eclecticPaperie blog hop (inspired by words).  A $25.00 gift voucher from their store is up for grabs.

I started out with a blank page in my journal...and in my mind.  And I thought, 'Silly, start at the beginning!'  I started going through my stamps looking to see what would be appropriate.  The stamps I selected helped  determine the other bits and pieces that on the page.  A length of painters tape was used to keep the inner border clean for challenge info. 

Up on my shelf was a never opened, got on clearance years ago, tube of Country Red Delta Texture Magic.  I slathered it over a Crafters Workshop Mini Tile Texture stencil.  A blast of the heat tool and it was dry.  Over this I stamped a block of words describing women (Lasting Impressions with Panache) in Saffron archival ink.  I drew around the word 'woman' with a Micron black pen.  Through a Dylusions stencil (Luscious Leaves) I rubbed in various green and brown distress inks.  Tea Dye distress ink (appropriate choice) was used all over the page, leaving the center lighter.

I journaled the quote along the left hand side of the page, using an alpha wood tile, part of my stamped image (lucky placement, that's all!), my own handwriting and Maya Road chipboard letters.  The tea bag stamp (Ann-ticipations) makes this like a rebus.  The chipboard letters were inked with yellow, orange and red distress inks (to simulate heat) then covered with Glossy Accents.

The tea cup (Stampington & Company) was stamped with Jet Black archival ink on Studio 490's 'Clearly For Art'.  The reverse side was colored with red alcohol ink then smooshed the Sepia archival ink pad over that.  A bit of heat was applied so I could curve the cup and saucer.

I had to ask a neighbor for a tea bag (removing the tea!) so I could stamp the face (Studio 490's 'Art Fit For A Queen') on it with Jet Black archival ink.  I dampened the tea bag and sprinkled the tea all over it; let dry.  Maya Road chipboard scrolls were colored with Pitch Black and Silver paint dabbers before dripping Caramel alcohol ink on them (Thank you, Shelly Hickox for this idea!*).  I cut them apart and glued them down to simulate steam. 

At the urging of a friend, I have also submitted this journal page to the Frilly & Funkie blog challenge that requires the use of stencils and masks.  I was unaware of this blog but will definitely be following them now.  Frilly, funkie and vintage...just up my alley!

* If you haven't checked out Shelly's blog, please do so!  She is so talented and I love her work! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan, this is a fantastic page! Love how you've included so much of your own writing along with the stamping and stenciling. The teacup and saucer are out of this world! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Frilly & Funkie... glad to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true...you made me belly laugh! And...I drink hot tea every day...lol! This page is wonderful Susan! I love all your stenciling and your handwriting is so nice to see...so many don't do that much anymore. So glad your friend urged you to join in the fun! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Susan! Ah, so you've started the journaling process as well! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, this is a gorgeous page! Love that teacup and saucer and the entire design! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous page Susan ! Love how you've stamped onto the tea bag, brilliant idea ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful page! I like how you stamped over the tea bag and leaving a blank spot for notes! Must keep that one in mind!
    Glad you could join the E-Team for this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! Love your page.... thanks for sharing it with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete