Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A kaleidoscope of color

This week's challenge over at Simon Says Stamp & Show is all about a kaleidoscope of color.  I love color, especially the warm family...reds, oranges, and yellows.  I had been playing around on 140 lb. watercolor paper, just slapping on color using a number of inks, sprays and mediums....with all colors of the rainbow.  And this journaling thing that people keep showing...not sure it's my thing but I figured I'd give it a whirl.  From my large sheet I cut off a 5x8 piece for my journal cover.  Now I can submit this entry for the eclecticPaperie blog hop.  After gesso, stencils, more inks, doodling and embellishments I can safely say I'm pleased with the outcome.

I free-handed some hills on the lower portion and wrote across them :never compare your journey with someone else's.  your journey is YOUR journey, not a competition."  I saw this on a friend's Facebook post and thought it very appropriate for my first art journal cover. 

If you've done this sort of thing before you know there's no way to really keep up with all the steps so I'll just list the items I used.

Ranger:  Fired Brick Distress Crackle Paint, Inkssentials white gel pen, Butterscotch & Terra Cotta pigment inks; Jet Black archival ink; clear & copper embossing powders; Faded Jeans Distress ink; Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist; mists I made from re-inkers and Perfect Pearls; distress inks (all colors); Claudine Hellmuth gesso, Studio Paint and Multi-medium

Crafters Workshop and All Night media stencils

Studio 490: Gentlemen's Art (let your heart lead the way)

Black, red, green Sharpies

Inkadinkado: my name stamp

Idea-ology:  ornate plate, long fasteners, corners, grungeboard heart

Sizzix:  pennants on-the-edge die (traced around and doodled inside them)


BTW, this was a Strathmore journal I found in the clearance aisle at Michaels for very little money.  So little money I bought 2...just in case I wanted to do another one.  vbg

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your first attempt at Journaling, whether art or junk. That cover is the most lovely, appealing one I have seen online. I have been doing quite a bit of research lately on Journaling, and am trying to decide whether or not to jump...

    The colors on your cover are delightful, and the quote you chose is perfect. Wishing you success as you begin the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool Susan, love the new venture into journaling! Good deal on the books, too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the world of the journal - am sure you will be hooked (I don't write anything personal on my pages, just have fun!) and I know you will totally rock it! Your cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH!! I love your first journal quote! Glad you could join the e-team in our journal adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan...love your journal page! Great background. Love all the texture and colors! Your idea of making the outline of hills with words of thought is a good one! I have a feeling that this is the first of many art journal pages to come! :) Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Susan, I love this! Love the quote too and may borrow it later. I am just getting started as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cover! And what a great quote. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the journal cover with your quote done in your handwriting. Adds charm. Thank you for sharing your journal cover with The E-Team on the eclectic Paperie blog.

    ReplyDelete