Saturday, May 19, 2012

A most uncommon insect

I seem to have an affinity for discovering critters of all kinds on our property (in town, not rural)...the likes of which the rest of the neighbors apparently don't see.  We've had tree frogs take shelter in the siding & shutters, opossums living in a nearby tree, deer, racoons, groundhogs, silvery salamanders, Dekay's Brownsnake, and a list of birds longer than my arm.  Just this morning a Baltimore Oriole graced our gardens - first time I've seen one here.  But I've never spotted a housefly like this one.  Check it out!

A most uncommon housefly!  lol Look at those gorgeous orange metallic wings (Studio 490's Clearly For Art, alcohol ink and crackle paint).  Her body is blue-ish purple, her eyes amber and green flecked with gold.  She only flew when no one could see...she didn't know that I had spotted her and captured her image for a tag that will be entered in the challenge on the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo group.

I stamped the background plaid using the Picket Fence Distress Stain but rolled it on so I got only partial images; heat set.  I blended in Tim's new seasonal distress inks (Peacock Feathers, Squeezed Lemonade, Shaded Lilac) and Pumice Stone.  A few flicks of water droplets and applied another round of heat.  All stamping was done using Jet Black archival ink.  Any doodling was done using Sakura Glaze pens.

The house was stamped twice on grungeboard; the face once.  Distress inks (already on the blending tools) were used for much of the color; Tim's new Distress Markers were used on the eyes (so easy to use in smaller spaces!).


All stamps are Studio 490 (A Form Of Art, Mail Art, Be Inspired...Make Art, It's Face Art, Homemade Art). 

What will inspire you today to make art?

6 comments:

  1. Too funny, Susan!!! Great tag!!! I've left you an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE it, Susan!!! Fun& clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE it, Susan!!! Fun& clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In love here Susan!!! You are so creative and this is hilarious and oh so Wendy!!!! Kudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is absolutely...HILARIOUS!!!
    I added it to Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so funny! OMG I love the housefly... cracking up over here. Great idea and brilliant execution!

    ReplyDelete