Thursday, May 26, 2011

Show your Vecchian style

Hey, one of my fave challengers (Simon Says Stamp & Show, doncha know) posted a theme of 'Show some Wendy Vecchi style'!  How could I not participate?  How could I think outside the box?  I don't need more art for my walls or any other flat surface and I don't need more tags.  Could make a card I suppose but I needed another avenue to travel.  Hmmmm...

How about a DIY hummingbird feeder from a room service bottle of mustard???????  I saw the article in a craft magazine some time ago; the artist used clay flower layers whereas I used Clearly for Art.  Flowers (3) and leaves (2) from Dimensional Rose Art, Rose Art Part 2 and Let Your Art Have Wings were stamped in Crimson and Olive Archival Inks.  Boy, with this humidity they didn't want to dry at all.

I tried stamping different background stamps on the Clearly for Art but they got lost while cutting, heating, etc.  I ended up using different red and green alcohol inks to color my CFA. 

Some wire and a red bead finish off the feeder.  Once we're out of the serious storm fronts passing through today and tomorrow this will go out on the shepherd's hook and hopefully entice a ruby-throated hummingbird to stick around for some photos!

12 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. I will be watching for a photo of the hummingbirds you attract!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! That colour is stunning, and what a brilliant idea. Mind, there aren't many hummingbirds around here (I live on the outskirts of London in the UK) so I doubt I'd get the same effect you may...look forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, lucky you getting pretty hummingbirds to visit. Nothing so exotic here in Scotland either. I'm looking forward to some lovely photos. I hope you don't have to wait long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how cool!!! I'm going to have to try this - we have hummers & any non-traditional feeders I've tried just have not lasted. Would you mind sharing the how-to, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is amazing. Yes, you did think out of the box on this one but it turned out great! Never tried having a hummingbird feeder. The cats would probably love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Susan... this is amazing! Hope it gets a special visitor once your weather clears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable, and definitley outside the box.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan...Incredible is the first word that comes to mind!
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one original idea, Wow! and love how it looks! If i was a hummingbird, i'd come over :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, this is so darned creative! I love how you think outside the box for the products we use all the time. This is awesome! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! It's really a beautiful bird feeder too : )

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Wendy inspired project is fantastic Susan, I love your thinking what a brilliant project and yes definitely outside the box lol! and wonderful colours.
    The design team and I are so pleased you joined us at Simon Says Stamp and show challenge!!!
    Thank you,
    HuGs Kim :)

    ReplyDelete