Sunday, May 15, 2011

More Wendy art

Just finished my 12th challenge art for the EWV Yahoo group.  This time we're looking to Wendy's inspiration piece that can be found in her first book on page 32...stamping on patterned paper and using a bookplate with a message inside.
I started out with a 6x6 sheet of paper from an old K & Company stash pack glued onto chipboard (the cover for my new gardening journal) and altered to my heart's content.  Before applying any additional color to the page I stamped Wendy' solid flower (Art-fully Said) in clear embossing ink, used clear embossing powder, then heat set.  Now comes the color!

Have you ever used the Nick Bantock collection by Ranger?  Whoa...awesome colors but they can be pretty intense.  At the bottom of the page (grassy area) I used Chartreuse Leaf.  Oh no, so NOT what I wanted.  Off to my Distress Inks to save the day!  Thank goodness for Peeled Paint and Forest Moss -whew!  Butterscotch Dimensional Pearls was smeared across the top of the page for a bit of color with shine.  Walnut Stain Distress Ink covers the entire book cover. 

A fine line black pen outlines part of the flower image.  Tim's Ornate Frame has Wendy's 'My Journal' inside (stamped as 2 lines, not one) with mica covering the opening in the frame.  A Spellbinder's butterfly was cut from acrylic packaging (first covered with TH tissue tape) (no this doesn't work very well but enough so I could use the lines to cut with scissors) then smooshed into the Fired Brick DI pad. A scrap of TH fence was white-washed and crackled and aged with more DI.  Hero Arts numbers in Jet Black Archival provide the year; same ink on Wendy's sentiment.  A Martha Stewart punch gave me the blackbird that I covered in Glossy Accents.  Last, but not least, I ran the Gold Paint Dabber around the edge.

And speaking of Wendy, I was able to gather with like-minded friends (some from the EWV Yahoo group) and take her techniques class yesterday in Moline, IL.  Lots of fun, always something new to learn, made new friends!  A perfect way to spend a very rainy, windy Saturday!

Several of us feel this pic needs some serious photo shop editing but we were there to learn, not make fashion statements!  lol 

Debby, Sandi, Lori (list mom), Wendy, me

5 comments:

  1. Another beaut, Susan! Love your journal cover. I really like the Nick Bantock inks, but subtle they ain't! Glad you had a fab time at Wendy's class. (how would you not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic, Susan. I love how the clear embossed flowers show all that beautiful stamping design behind them.... what a cool technique. And how fun that you were able to take Wendy's class with fellow WV fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I LOVE this!!! The way you've done the flowers and places all your elements is fantastic!!! I could just sit and look and look at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely piece, Susan, really cool! Love those colors! And hey, all those layers look fab together!
    p.s. and thanks for cropping my hips out of that photo, much appreciated...lol..

    ReplyDelete