Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Time for class!

All right, so most people are out of school now but art classes are on-going at your local stamp/scrap stores and even some on-line ones.  Yesterday I took a neat class at Prairie Art Stamps in Springfield, IL.  My good friend, Judy Hauffe taught it.  The class was one of the first to be offered during the week day so I was psyched.  I don't like to drive at night and the store is 1+ hours away for me so a 6-8 class is hard.  There were 10 of us enjoying the creative session.  We had lots of fun getting inky and plenty of laughs.

The project was an adaptation of one that was in the Design Originals book 'Trends & Trinkets'.  Shari Carroll's project was 'Love' Canvas.  Ours was 'Tattered Rose' Canvas because most of us used Tattered Rose distress ink and crackle paint as the base color.  My canvas is 8"x10" and was primed (by Judy - thank you!!!) with Gesso.  We used Tim's masks and distressed around them before adhering bits of paper wherever we wanted.  More distress ink and crackle paint formed the base.  Gaffer's tape, lace, flowers, and Idea-ology items filled in the rest of the canvas.  The sentiment on the center piece is Wendy's.  I use it on a lot of my artwork.  My chipboard letters were covered with Shabby Shutters crackle paint; I smeared  brown distress ink over them.  I think I distressed every element, including the ribbon.  Since I moved away from the Tattered Rose it was too pink for me.  I just kept adding oranges and browns until I was happy.

I can see me making more of these, especially in a smaller format like 6"x6" or even smaller.  Time to go make more art since I'm behind schedule on several projects!

3 comments:

  1. Susan - This is totally lovely! Awesome work - thanks for sharing it.

    LynneZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this turned out really gorgeous! Love how you adapted the color scheme to fit your needs, very cool! Would have loved to have taken this, can't do days though...although...I might have some vaca days left.....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete