Sunday, June 20, 2010

Remembering dad


As I mentioned the other day, my dad has been gone nearly 2 years now.  Even though we didn't have a Norman Rockwellian relationship I still miss what we did have.  One of dad's favorite activities when he was younger was hunting.  I clearly remember him taking us on a pheasant hunting trip; hence, this card.  I think the trip was more to teach us about being quiet, listening, watching, etc., not about hunting per se.  I can't imagine having 4 youngsters hunting with you would have provided much game. 

The large background piece was created by stamping TH flourish stamp in white pigment ink, heat setting, then rubbing Bundled Sage, Peeled Paint, Weathered Wood, Vintage Photo and Black Soot distress inks over the cardstock.  With a slightly damp towel I carefully wiped off the white so that it would show up better. 

The other stamps are from SU's 'Pheasant Thoughts'.  The cardstock with the pheasant image uses the Camouflage technique that can be found in the Oct/Nov 2008 TechniqueJunkie newsletter.  I thought this was a perfect combo.

The hanging sign is from TH; I used his rusted grunge technique (see his book Compendium of Curiosities for details) on the grungeboard.  Flattening the brads added to the rustic look.  Spellbinders Labels 4 and Ma Vinci Graven Tiny alpha in Sepia Archival ink were used to create the date embellishment.  I had a piece of wood from my mulch pile that was just the right for this card.  Two wire Christmas ornament hangers were wound around the piece to complete the card.

Mood when done?  Happy with the card, sad otherwise.  Happy Father's Day to all the dads in my life!

4 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful, Susan - and a sweet way to commemorate your father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet tribute to your dad and to fathers everywhere. Norman Rockwell had a great imagination. No family could live up to it. But your story about pheasant hunting is such a tribute to those lessons we learn doing the most ordinary of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look forward to reading all of the artsy details of your wonderful projects. This one is no exception. What a beautiful way to preserve a memory. Regarding dads, I don't think I could add anything to what Beach Cat already said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Susan, this is one of the greatest cards I've ever seen! The attention to detail is stellar, I just love that sign post with the rusted technique. All the other elements are just wonderful. And what a lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete