Wednesday, January 11, 2012

SSSS-GM challenges or how I met my husband

Hmmm...two challenges in one again.  It's nice to be able to put all my efforts into one project that turns out well.  Over on SimonSaysStamp&Show the theme is 'a red letter day' while over on Grungy Mondays it's all about using your favorite technique from Tim's 12 tags of christmas 2011.

One of my favorite techniques was taught on Day 1, combining an embossing folder, embossing ink and embossing powder with kraft core'dinations cardstock.  Since I'd already done the snowflakes version I wanted to branch out and use a non-holiday embossing folder.  As soon as I saw Tim's Damask ef I knew what I wanted to do.  Using Tim's Vintage Cabinet Card and Mini Cabinet Card dies I created a frame to support a detailed description of the event (in the vellum envelope) and to mimic the pink roses.  Guess I'd better tell you the story so you'll understand.

Received a birthday cake in the shape of a box of long-stemmed roses, adorned with a dozen pink icing roses.  I took it to a local bar that night to share it with friends.  I ended up dropping it on the floor in front of a gentleman in a suit.  Next night rehashedg the event at the bar, a gentleman was seated at one end while I was in the middle.  He said I'd never get a man with the current hang-dog look on my face.  I told him I wasn't looking for one.  The bartender, a friend and the two of us mentioned going out to eat seafood Friday night.  Fast forward...the bartender and friend didn't show up, Walt and I started dating.  My friends wanted to see who I was dating.  I pointed him out and one lady said I could do better than that.  This year we'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  Hmph, what did she know?  



Supplies:
Sizzix:  Damask Embossing Folder; Vintage Cabinet Card, Mini Vintage Cabinet Card dies: mini flourish from Festive Greenery die
Ranger:  Antique Linen Distress Ink; Spun Sugar Distress Stickles; Spun Sugar, Tattered Rose Distress Stains; White Embossing Powder; Distress Embossing Ink
Studio 490:  Rose Art (rose stamp)
Spellbinders:  Rose Creations, Foliage dies
Martha Stewart:  leaf punch, silk ribbon
Misc.:  Kraft Core'dinations #2, buckram, tulle, vellum envelope

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous creation, l love the embossed background and your flowers are stunning. Lovely story. Thanks so much for sharing with The Simon Says Stampand Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow..Susan! Your project is beautiful! I am in love with your roses!!! Your cabinet card frame is beautiful as well and I loved how you embossed and finished it out. I love the tulle as an accent and the ribbon at the top. It's all just lovely. Thanks for sharing your story with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, sweet story about how you met your man!!! This card is beautiful...the roses are gorgeous!!! You can also enter this in the Our Creative Corner Challenge for irregular shaped cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story!! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh Susan, what a lovely story. You and Walt really are a fit. I enjoyed hearing about how you met!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! And that's a GREAT story! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful artwork Susan, & I love your romantic story! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure! Love the story, and how you've made it the focus of your gorgeous keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a delicate pink and those roses are wonderful - even more beautiful is the love story!
    Thanks so much for joining in with The Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete