Saturday, January 28, 2012

Red roses for a blue lady

send them to the sweetest gal...Oh, I can hear this clearly in my head, can't you?  That's the song title I chose to illustrate in this week's Simon Says Stamp & Show blog challenge.  I had several ideas brewing but this one seemed to come together better/easier than the others.

First of all I crazed my bottle using instructions that Wendy posted on her blog back in November.  I still had problems with both layers flaking off but I'm guessing I didn't clean the bottle very well before I started.  (Maybe an alcohol bath would have been an ideal first step.)

Sid Tepper and Roy Bennet wrote this song back in 1948, hence the silver charm.  I used a marker for the date.  Old twine was wound around the neck of the bottle.

I applied Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas to grungeboard, cut it out using the Sewing Room die and inked it up with various blue and brown distress inks.  The florist label (TH Adverts) was inked using Jet Black Archival Ink on white cardstock; aged with brown distress ink; curled the corners.

Vermillion Archival Ink met up with the Studio 490 heart (Art from the Heart) and was stamped on chipboard; I distressed the edges with more brown distress ink.

The roses were cut from Fired Brick Distress core'dinations cardstock using Tim's Tattered Pinecone die.  Two of the 4 were cut in half so I could make smaller roses.  Fired Brick Distress Stickles was smeared on the roses.  The leafy/branch bits were cut from Retro Grunge scraps and edged with brown distress ink.  A layer of torn tulle is between the heart and the bottle.

Glossy Accents was used exclusively in holding this project together.  Long live Glossy Accents!!!

10 comments:

  1. Love your bottle, Susan, and those flowers are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Susan, this is BEAUTIFUL! (My family may curse you as I sing this song, but sing, I must!).
    You have shown me that I NEED the Pinecone die...your roses are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Susan....really have to try this technique on a bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan soooo Love your BEAUTIFUL creation!! Wowzer...love the flower cluster!!

    thanks bunches for playing along with this weeks challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am quite sure I will be singing that song all day now ! This is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Susan Wow!!! This is gorgeous! That bottle is huge, talk about time on this! The heart is gorgeous as well! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - really wonderful - just love bright cluster of fab flora against the aged bottle! And of course... thanks for joining in with this weeks challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those flowers are stunning! LOVE this, Susan, so much detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous! I love your roses from the pinecone die.

    ReplyDelete