Friday, November 11, 2011

A time for thanks

This week's Grungy Monday challenge used Tim's 2009, Day 7 Christmas tag as inspiration.  I'm not into Christmas, at least not yet, so I chose to do a Thanksgiving theme.  With today being Veteran's Day it's appropriate that not only do I give thanks who have served, or are serving, our country but that my art should reflect my thanks as well.  I know you can't see the white words in the background very well (I think I should have dried them more) but the word 'Thanks' is there.

I've used stamps from Tim's 'Thankful Silhouettes' and 'French Connection'.  I've also used his Tattered Leaves dies on shrink plastic and colored them with colors from the fall palette.  Ranger provided all the inks, paint dabbers  and embossing powder.

Veteran's Day is important to me personally.  I have no family members currently active in the military but my paternal grandfather served in both World War 1 and 2; my dad was in the Army Reserves for the end of the Korean War and retired as a colonel shortly before his death a few years ago and 5 of his 7 siblings (3 sisters and 2 brothers) served in the military.  Even my maternal grandmother served as a dietitian when she was a WAC - that's when she met my grandfather.  My grandpa was very patriotic.  So patriotic that he died on Veteran's Day.  And he missed being born on Veteran's Day by a few hours.  My husband served in the Air Force during the Viet Nam war.  I fly my flag proudly each and every day.  I pray for peace daily and hope that one day we will no longer have the need to be on foreign soil defending our rights or the rights of others, especially at such a great cost as the sacrifice of human life.

God bless the USA!

3 comments:

  1. Ohh beautiful, I love that is says November!! The color is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, such warm colors, love it! and the embellies work so well with the stamps you used, yummi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this beautiful which all of it's rich and beautiful fall colors. Thanks for sharing the story of your family's military history. We really do have a lot to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete