Friday, December 10, 2010

Rosettes to die for (or die trying to make them-grrr)

So, I knew sooner or later Mr. Tim would pull out that rosette die that makes me crazy.  If the die doesn't cut completely through his paper then it won't lay flat and ends up tearing anyway.  Oh well.  Guess I'll be practicing a lot more.  Here we are on Day 9 with several rosettes...in pieces... in the trash.  Never mind, finally got 2 that worked so I was off to the races to get my Tim and Wendy tags completed tonight.

First up is the Tim tag.  All stamps are from 'Artful Flight'.  I used Broken China and Tumbled Glass with Forever Blue and Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist (homemade).

I was already frustrated so I could have used the brads and pounded the heck out of them but knew there were some sequins dying to be used and they were a perfect match to the paper (Tim's vintgage shabby collection) I used for the rosette. 

My lace was white with gold trim but some color wash changed that.  The center of the rosette is a gold metal piece with music notes.  Tim's bird die sits on top of the rosette...kind of like sitting on it's nest. 

A bit of music notes tissue tape and a silver button that was treated to several colors of alcohol ink helped finish the tag.

Going with Wendy's fave colors (most of the time) of butterscotch and denim I was able to use another rosette from Tim's blue side of the vintage shabby collection.  This meant I could also use letters from the same die cuts (Tim's Carnivale) as I did in Tim's tag. 

The background is the text stamp from 'Live and Make Art'.  Scatttered Straw, Wild Honey and Tea Dye are glitzed with Mandarin and Perfect Gold Perfect Pearls (again, homemade).  The tag was edged wtih Tea Dye.

I treated another piece of the same white and gold lace to more colorwash, this time with butterscotch and water so it wasn't too dark.  Still no pounding of brads; I used black enamel accents for the dots. 

The butterfly (Botanical Art) was stamped in black archival on grungepaper and colored with scattered straw and denim and hit with the perfect pearls mist.  On top is a Clearly For Art butterfly.  Tim's spinner forms the body and it's held together with a long fastener.

The center of the rosette is part of the milk label from 'Homemade Art'.  I stamped it in coffee archival ink on grungepaper then colorized it with scattered straw, wild honey and vintage photo.  Do you see what I see?  How did I do it again?  I'll never know, that's for sure.  Still don't see it?  I didn't until I saw it through the viewfinder on my camera.  Look at the rosette...there are 3 petals inside!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them both, and I didn't pound any brads either on mine!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. catching up--both tags are wonderful representations of the artists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both - absolutely! I had the rosette die on my "maybe list" so glad to hear your take. I find using my ScorPal on a strip of paper every 1/4 or 1/2" depending on size works great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are just fantastic! And I know what you mean about the rosette die. I read on someone's blog that you could put a strip of painter's tape or tissue tape on the back after you cut it, it would help it hold together. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense. Your tags are awesome, and I love that butterscotch denim combo.

    ReplyDelete