Thursday, June 7, 2012

Let's recycle: textured packaging

How about another two-fer?  The eighth challenge over at Studio L3 featuring Tim's 2nd Compendium of Curiosities book is to repurpose packaging material (page 62) while the theme of this week's challenge over at Simon Says Stamp & Show is to show some texture. 
I created the background on the tag following the directions for 'Marbled Stains' in the 2nd CofC book, pg. 46.  A glue stick was rubbed across the tag in no particular fashion.  A pattern piece was placed onto the tag; let dry; tore off wherever the pattern didn't stick.  Walnut Stain distress ink was added to all the edges of the tag.

The packaging from Sizzix dies is most plentiful in my house so I cut a piece large enough to cover most of my tag, cut the bottom edge with the Mini Scallop On The Edge die then ran it through the Patterns & Stitches alterations embossing folder.  It was machine-stitched onto the tag.

Sticky backed canvas was applied to grungeboard; cut out the Mini Sewing Room dies set; distressed with more Walnut Stain distress ink.  I wrapped blue fiber around the spool and added a blue bow to the mannequin's waist.  Blue and brown buttons were glued at the top.

'Sew' was stamped 3 times in black ink at the top of the tag. It's part of a sentiment from River City Rubber Works

Simon Says Stamp & Show is giving a way a $50 gift voucher to a randomly chosen entry.  Not sure if there's a prize at Studio L3 but it doesn't matter to me because I enjoy the challenges for what they are; my prize is more knowledge about Tim's products and ideas and having another piece of art to add to my collection.

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag Susan!! You certainly hit the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the repurposed packaging used here! What a super feminine tag Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo....NICE! Love it, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, your "two fer" looks great! I really like your tag and how you used the repurposed packaging. Your mini dress form and spool die cuts covered in canvas and then distressed are great textural pieces, too. Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tag! Love all the different textures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great! I love the sewing theme stuff Tim has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the great textures you have going

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the pale background and touches of blue together... I just binned a load of packaging as it was breeding and darn - none left when you need it... Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete