Sunday, March 4, 2012

Using the ol' noggin

I wasn't going to participate in the recent Grungy Monday (wearable art) and Simon Says Stamp & Show challenges (Idea-ology).  I've been doing some dabbling in other artistic areas and working diligently on my family trees.  But two ideas popped into my head and wouldn't let go.  It was probably best to try at least one of them so I could move on.  Once the idea was formulated I realized it would also qualify for the Clearly For Art challenge on the EverythingWendyVecchi Yahoo group. 

Recently Wendy had demonstrated her technique to create a metallic looking embellishment using Black Clearly For Art.  I also tried it on the white and clear versions of Clearly For Art and loved the end results with them just as much.  Possibly more because I'm not  black & silver girl but more gold and copper with rusts and oranges.  While Tim's Idea-ology flowers are fun to use on a project, creating custom metallic lightweight flowers is even more so.


(Please look beyond my gray hairs and unruly curls!)

Tim's Sizzix dies (tattered florals) cut the CFA like butter!  Even with all the glue and crackle paint on it.  First I measured a piece of clear CFA for the base of the headband.  After coloring it using Wendy's technique I stamped one her text stamps (A Form Of Art) using Jet Black Archival ink.  I tried using Claudine Hellmuth's Matte Medium to adhere it to the band but ended up using 527 Multi-Purpose Cement on the ends.

On white CFA I colored a scrap piece with the same technique then stamped 4 of Wendy's roses (Dimensional Rose Art) and 2 leaves (Dreams Of Art) in JBA ink and cut them out.  I used the black CFA and Wendy's technique for the large and small flowers.  I heated the CFA to shape my layers then glued everything together with the 527 mpc.  I wear a headband nearly every day so I needed real staying power with flexibility.

Ranger:  Jet Black Archival ink; Clearly For Art (clear, white, black); Glue N' Seal; Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint; Gold, Silver, Copper, Pearl Alcohol Ink Mixatives; Pool, Ginger, Rust, Oregano, Meadow, Latte, Butterscotch alcohol inks; Blending Solution

My second idea is to make a mask using the Clearly For Art.  I'm thinking Mardi Gras or Halloween.   What do you think? 

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Susan! Love the colors you used and the flowers turned out lovely. Would love to see your version of a mask. I would probably start with a pre-made one and add on to it. But knowing you , you will do more with your idea and I mean that in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Susan this is soooo beautiful!!! I love it. Wendy's flowers are gorgeous..
    awesome susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun, i love it! It would be nice to see also mask! Can`t wait.
    Hugs from Slovenia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your headband is wonderful!!!!! And a mask would be way cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAA!!!! To die for!!! I want one! You did think outside of the creative box, but you always do! This is a prize winner!!! Love this so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, your headband is just beautiful! I LOVE your Wendy flower! WOW! The Ideaology tucked in along side of the flower is wonderful as well!!! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Gray adds character and I love the curls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, this is gorgeous! What a fantastic creation and so very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to think outside the box, Susan! This is really cool! Love it! And...thanks for joining the MAC!

    ReplyDelete