Sunday, June 19, 2011

My dream is to journey 'round the world

but I just returned from an auto trip, IL to NY and back, and have decided my dream will have to wait a while longer.  After traveling nearly 2000 miles with 2 14-year old girls and my husband I have an aversion to my car at the moment. 

When we lived in NJ we started a tradition that when each of my 7 nieces and nephews graduated from 8th grade we would bring them and a friend out for a week and show them the sights.  This was the summer for the last trip.  My niece and her friend were great travelers despite both being prone to motion sickness; my husband no longer drives outside our community. 

We got to see old friends as well as treat the girls to the sights and sounds of Sandy Hook Lighthouse and beach, Ft. Hancock, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and a day walking around NYC where we caught a matinee and saw 'Wicked'.  The ocean was far too cold for swimming...could barely dabble your feet at the water's edge.  The stretch limo into the city was a super treat and made the girls feel very special.  While the trip may have seemed long, the days passed quickly and we were soon back home, sleeping in our own beds, readjusting to our own routines.  As Dorothy would say, 'There's no place like home." and I have to agree with her. 

Since there is little time to make art before the deadlines Sunday night, I decided to make a two-fer tag that fits both the Grungy Monday (Tim's technique challenge from January 2008) and Simon Says Stamp & Show (Distress or Torn Edges) blog challenges. 

Ingredients:  Tim's stamps (Air travel set , dream); Jet Black & Olive Archival Inks; Crushed Olive, Forest Moss, Walnut Stain, Pumice Stone, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot, Tumbled Glass Distress Inks; clear embossing powder; Pool Acrylic Paint Dabber, Vintage Photo Distress Stain, Idea-ology (game spinner, token)
Maybe someday I'll take my journey 'round the world.  Until then, I'll continue dreaming.

4 comments:

  1. Great tag Susan, and glad to hear your trip was fun and you arrived home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun but exhausting trip! Love your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how i recognize the 'aversion to my car' feeling! lol love your take on Lord Tim's technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tag, Susan. Sounds like the trip was a huge success but I sure do understand your temporary aversion!

    ReplyDelete