Thursday, June 9, 2011

'B' is for distressed butterfly tag

As forewarned, I made another tag using plenty of distress inks.  This tag is for the Simon Says Stamp & Show blog's challenge 'use a tag'.  It's a #8 tag...my favorite size to work on....at least right now.

I started out using the watercolor distress technique using the blue and purple palette with a touch of yellow thrown in...hence the green in spots.  Next up I stamped the large image from Tim's new 'Papillon' set in Ranger's new archival color of Saffron.  Of course I knew it wouldn't show up real well but I wanted it for a shadow behind the image stamped again (slightly offset) but in Coffee.

The vertical column of butterflies was stamped in Jet Black Archival ink and Tim's filmstrip ribbon was attached using his tiny attacher.  The flowers were cut from Tim's new kraft glassine paper using his Tattered Florals die.
I colored the flowers with Saffron, Monarch Orange and Crimson (now retired) archival inks.  I tried the distress inks as Tim showed but didn't get the depth of color like I wanted.

Using Sizzix's Leaf Stem die I cut 2 from green paper and distressed them manually and with distress inks.  A chipboard 'b' was coated with gesso then blue and brown distress inks were smudged on, edged in Coffee Archival Ink. 

I used plain gold brads for the flower centers, roughed them up with Tim's sander then pushed them into the Coffee Archival Ink pad before pounding them with Tim's hammer.  Some miscellaneous ribbon scraps were colored with Espresso Color Wash and Coffee Archival Ink because they weren't quite the right colors.  A bit of Black Soot Distress Ink around the tag and it's a fait accompli.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tag! I love the flowers, the ribbon, the background - in fact the lot! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely GORGEOUS! Totally love the background, and the details are just as stunning! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty. I saw that kind of paper at my scrapbook store and had no clue how to use it! Now I want to go back and get some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I love this tag!!! Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous, Susan! Love the way your flowers came out and all the layers of color/stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty, lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan...you did a beautiful job on your tag! I love the flowers. You did an amazing job on those! Your background is so pretty and I love the Papillion stamp! Way to go! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful creation with a perfect mix of elements and colour - great work Susan.
    Thanks very much for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show!
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning work, Susan! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm still working on catching up (our internet connection went kablooie)... but when i came accross this one, i had to pause to comment. this is so yummishly pretty! i love the colors, the flowers, the stamps... everything works so well together! Another great SusanK-creation :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this!!! The colors and textures and flowers.. yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete