Saturday, January 15, 2011

Thinking of you and more

Sympathy cards or cards that are meant as support during a difficult illness are often hard to create.  We don't feel they look as good as store-bought ones.  However, I beg to differ.  If you've taken the time to make a card for me, in my time of need, I truly appreciate your generosity of time and thought.  The simple, hand-written words, 'I'm thinking of you' or 'I'm here for you', mean the world to me.  You took time to do more than just sign the card after a stamped sentiment. 

When I come across a design that I like and will work for these occasions, I try to have several on hand...seems like you need one when you're least prepared.  This card looks quite involved but really it's not.  It can be done in any color combo, on any color, and still look great.

The base layer is off-white cardstock with Hero Arts butterflies stamped all over it in a taupe ink.  The top layer is also off-white but stippled with several shades of yellow, peach and orange dye inks.  More butterflies are stamped in taupe, then overstamped, slightly offsetting the image, with white pigment ink.  This creates a shadow effect and I use the technique frequently.  The sentiment is from Endless Creations and was stamped in archival ink that matches the middle layer.  A bit of ribbon between the layers brings out the peachy-orange color in the card.

I hope you'll remember that it's the thought that counts.  You never know when your words will bring comfort to a troubled soul.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really fantastic card design, Susan! I love how the background compliments the front cover. Those colors are wonderful. I really like that sentiment, not too mushy, not too cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Susan!
    And, thank you for the reminder of 'the thought...'. I know I tend to get mired in my little world & need to remember my friends more.

    ReplyDelete