Sunday, January 9, 2011

New stamps on the block

Simon Says Stamp and Show blog has issued a challenge to create a piece of art using your newest stamps.  That in  itself was a challenge but I remembered one a friend gave me recently that dealt with friendship.  I came up with quite a few ideas for the stamp but they quickly went into the vertical file on the floor. I was about to give up when I remembered seeing a shrine created using a microscope slide holder in an old magazine.  Hmmm - this could work. 

The chipboard holder was covered with Shell Pink pigment pink and overstamped with the background from Wendy's 'It's More Flower Art' in Victorian Velvet distress ink then clear embossed.  Wendy's flourish from 'Residential Art' was stamped in Weathered Wood distress ink in the upper right hand and lower left hand corners.  I added additional Weathered Wood distress ink around the edges. 

The mauve velvet ribbon is from Maya Road and really works well with Victorian Velvet.  Tim's 'Regal Crest' die gave me the shield and leafy garland.  The shield was painted with Brushed Pewter Distress Crackle Paint; a Black Soot distress ink pad was smushed into the cracks.  The leaves are several shades of green distress ink; I only used the end portions of the die.  The flower was cut with the smallest die on Tim's 'Tattered Floral' die.  It's multi layers are really a very deep mauve-burgundy, not black-ish.  The '2' is a Sizzix die cut from grungepaper.  Victorian Velvet and Weathered Wood distress inks were smushed into the number.

The inside has the same ink colors and background stamped on it.  I also stamped Wendy's long lace strip (In Love With Art) over the slide area and smushed in more Weathered Wood.  Beneath the slides is Tim's tissue tape, the photos of the girls (my maternal grandmother on the left), then the slides.  A small gray heart button is between the photos; Wendy's 'heritage' (Residential Art) was stamped in Weathered Wood and clear embossed.  Green and pink distress inks were added around the edges so it wasn't so stark white.  The photo corners are actually one that was cut in half with Tim's scissors.  The slide holder was too thick to use one on each corner.

The new stamp on the block is on the left side; 'Friends' from Magenta. It was stamped in Victorian Velvet d. i. and clear embossed.  A bookplate from Tim's Tag & Bookplate die was cut and treated to Brushed Pewter distress crackle paint and layered over the word 'friends'.

I have more slides and slide holders - this could be the start of something....


  1. Susan....#1 this slide holder is just too awesome #2 I love how you transformed it into this WAY COOL CARD!!!

    THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with Simon Says Stamp and Show!!!

  2. This is really, really cool! I love this idea, and it's gorgeous!

  3. Very, very cool, Susan!! Hmm .. I think I have one or two of these laying around - maybe I should actually use them! *lol*