Sunday, December 25, 2016

All good wishes for Christmas

Merry Christmas to the love of my life, my soulmate, my best friend!  Although he keeps beating the odds with his health situation we know this could be our last Christmas together. 

When we first established Nimble Fingers many years ago, Walt helped me figure out the message I wanted to portray to my customers...that what I make with my hands comes from my heart.  Using this as my source of inspiration, I wanted to create a very special card for him. 

The A2 base card is Cream Puff Bazzill cardstock.  Around the edge I smudged Antique Linen and Walnut Stain distress crayons.  The next layer is actually bright pink cardstock scrap that I colored the edges with Candied Apple and Fired Brick distress inks.  I haphazardly drew around the edge with a clear glitter Sakura gelly roll pen (my favorite when you need just a touch of bling!).

The top layer is Royal & Langnickel watercolor cardstock, 119 lb. weight.  It's already an off-white color so perfect for the vintage look.  I stamped Santa (Mini Holidays 5 CMS177) in Black Soot archival ink (another vintage look, less harsh than Jet Black) and colored him with distress markers* that had been scribbled onto my nonstick craft sheet.  More from the Sakura glitter pen highlights the edges of the drum, Santa's beard, mustache, buttons and coat cuffs.  I heat set it all before covering with distress micro glaze. 

Using the larger oval diffuser plate I placed the opening over Santa and ran the cardstock through the December Calendar texture fade 656941.  I smooshed Antique Linen distress ink onto my nonstick craft sheet, spritzed with water, then used the mini roller to pick up the ink and roll it across the calendar.  Heat set and repeat the process using Old Paper distress ink.  The edges were treated with Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain distress inks.

From various scraps of green and red (nope! more bright pink cardstock that had been colored as above) cardstock I punched and die cut holiday greenery (punch 660171 and Holiday Greens, mini 661597).  The red berry clusters were turned over so I could use a ball roller on the back side and make the berries more 3-D by rounding them.  I spritzed all the pieces with Picket Fence spray distress stain; let air dry and topped with a blast of Tarnished Brass distress mica spray.  Let all air dry and add a bit of Encore gold metallic pigment ink.

Three lengths of 4mm pure silk brown ribbon by Bucilla was hit with the mica spray and gold metallic ink.  This aged the ribbon and added a bit of vintage glitz at the same time.  One length was tied around the 2 layers of card.  The remaining two were used to create a flat, but full bow (4 loops per side).  A scrap piece of vintage gold mesh/tulle was used to create a slightly larger bow base.  These were attached with small glue dots.

*Pumice Stone, Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick, Candied Apple, Fired Brick, Wild Honey, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso, Crushed Olive, Peeled Paint, Pine Needles, Faded Jeans

The sentiment (Mini Holidays 5 CMS177) was stamped in Encore gold metallic pigment ink.  Heat set.  Slightly offset the image and repeat with Fired Brick distress ink.




Make this your best Christmas ever
by spending quality time with those you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment