Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Take flight

Wow, my 300th post!  I've been busier sharing my art than I thought I would be on Blogger.

How about some flight time?  I did a two-fer this week...thanks to the Lovely Linda bringing back the Grungy Monday challenges.  While it was nice to have a short break I sure did miss her!  The 22nd GM challenge was 'A Holtzian Halloween' and the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge was 'things with wings'.  Hmmm...I saw several butterfly projects from the design team so I steered to a different thing with wings...BATS!  

This looks so cool IRL (imho)!  It's a 5x7 canvas board that has been inked up with Jet Black, Coffee, Sienna, Saffron, Monarch Orange and Venetian Orange archival inks.  All stamps are Tim's (Halloween Silhouettes, Mini Halloween and Trick-or-Treat).

The spider webs, bats and sentiment were stamped in Jet Black archival.  Using Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Rusty Hinge and Frayed Burlap distress inks I stamped the Halloween words background on white cardstock, tore off the edges, distressed the edges for a burnt look.  I cut out a square to fit around a piece of plastic packaging to make a shaker box (my first time doing this!!!).  Inside the shaker box are bats (confetti by Nicole).

The bird was stamped in Jet Black archival ink, smooshed some Rusty Hinge distress ink around it then cut it out.  Glossy Accents are on top of him for a bit of shine, a pop dot is behind him so it looks like he's standing on the shaker box.

Tim's grungeboard letters were covered with Pitch Black paint dabber, dried then coated with Black Soot distress stickles.  The bat was stamped on black Clearly For Art and cut out.  Once I heated & formed him (wings bent forward) I added a pop dot for elevation.  The skeleton was stamped with Snow Cap pigment ink on black Clearly For Art, cut out, heated & formed (arms bent out and forward as if to scare off the bats and bird).  He, too, has pop dots behind him for elevation.  A bit of black ribbon on the corners frames and finishes the piece.  I cut Tim's small easel out of black presentation board so it would stand up. 

Hope your mojo doesn't take flight and you're able to participate in either or both challenges this week!

18 comments:

  1. Love your project, Susan! The torn edges with everything flying work so well on this theme and your shaker box is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your spooky creation, fabulous colours and love the bats for the winged things, great idea. Thanks so much for joining in The Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your spooky Halloween it is great. The colors are wonderful and I love that stamp. Great work susan.

    susan salyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Susan---very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is absolutely super cool. You have the style down... very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful piece. Lots of techniques in there! Thanks for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan...your Halloween canvas is really amazing! I love everything about it!! Great Tim inspiration here...the Texture Fades, the stamps, the Fragement!!! LOVE THEM ALL!! Great design! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so so very BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    Greetz Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I love this. So cool indeed. Wish I could see it in person because I know it's always better. If possible. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic!! I love all of the different stamps you've used...just too cool all-around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Susan! Just love all the details, and you do Halloween stuff so well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome piece Susan!! Love all the details and what a cool idea with the shaker box! Fantastic piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooooooooooooooooo love this - perfect crisp and fun - great colours and details Susan! Great artwork...wonderful for GM... and Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how Halloweenie this is! The torn paper in the center is really cool!

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter!
    *Like us on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful Halloween piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad you came back to GM after the break, and wow, did you ever create a masterpiece! This looks amazing online, so I can only imagine how awesome it is IRL. The shaker box is fab! The entire design is so well thought out-- truly something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still giggling and enjoying your darling creations. Cannot imagine how long this one took you to make but it is really awe-inspiring! ( I tell my kids the word " awesome" has lost any meaning and here, now, this card is what "awesome" is all about! )

    ReplyDelete