Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oktoberfest

So, this weekend culminates the end of Oktoberfest.  We'll be celebrating by having a big party at a neighbor's home with all the trimmings.  I can't wait!  Love the food and even more, the German beer!!!

My maternal family line is German; my great-grandparents often spoke it in front of us if they didn't want us to know what they were saying.  My grandparents wouldn't teach it to my mom and her brother because they were afraid of what their peers would say or do.  To honor my German heritage and participate in the latest MakingArt! challenge on the EverythingWendyVecchi Yahoo group I've created a tag using the required vintage text paper.  Mine is actually a page torn from a German book.


I really enjoy creating #8 tags.  They're a super size to try out a technique, small enough so you're not overwhelmed yet large enough to have plenty of room to stamp and embellish.

First off I clear embossed Bertha of Savoy, a German queen. The German flag is represented on the tag in equal bands of black, red, and yellow (distress inks).  The text was stamped with the gold paint dabber and Jet Black archival ink.  All the stamps are from Regal Art.  The crown is from Maya Road and has more gold paint on it.  (I'm a gold kinda girl...no silver for me.)

On the computer I generated the text to fit in one of the smaller Spellbinders Labels 4 dies.  Bertha* was born 21 September 1051 and died 27 December 1087.   Lastly I edged the tag with the gold paint dabber.

*My great-grandmother was named Bertha so it was only fitting I chose Bertha of Savoy to reign on my tag. 

Auf wiedersehen!

5 comments:

  1. Great tag, Susan! Love the 'wear it with pride' in celebrating your own heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag, Susan! Love how you celebrated Oktoberfest with this! And here I thought it was Wendy's German text stamp! lol! Thanks for joining the MAC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect is that? Love the Bertha tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool tag Susan! Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete