Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wine box makeover

I'm a big fan of recycling items destined for the recycling bin or trash.  Upon taking a few measurements I discovered that the distress stains would neatly fit inside this wine box.  How cool is that?  There's just enough room, including some wiggle space, for all 37 colors.  I'm missing just a few.

Of course, I didn't want to leave it looking like it's intended purpose so out came cardstock from Tim Holtz's Retro Grunge paper stash, tissue tape and lots of embellishments and inks.

Ta da!   This is the new top of the box.













Here are the front, sides, and interior views.




*** 9/6/11  Oops!  I forgot to add the pic of the wine box in it's original state.***

I won't go into details as to how I accomplished this as you'd be here for a very long time reading my 'this is what I did' list.  Instead, I'll list the materials and the techniques.  If you have any questions, you can email me privately (see sidebar).

Tim Holtz dies:  Journey, Tattered Florals, Tattered Leaves, Elegant Flourishes, Gadget Gears, Hardware Findings, Styled Labels

Tim Holtz:  Retro Grunge paper stash, tissue tape, philosophy tag, knob

Studio 490 stamp sets:  All About Art, Well Worn Art, Love To Make Art, Destination Art, It's Face Art, Rose Art Part 2, Homemade Art, Art In Bloom, Celestial Art, She Created Art, Art Fit For A Queen

Ranger:  Bundled Sage, Fired Brick, Broken China, Scattered Straw, Rusty Hinge, Aged Mahogany, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain Distress Inks;  Dried Marigold, Forest Moss, Mustard Seed Distress Stickles; Crimson, Coffee, Olive, Jet Black, Saffron, Vermillion Archival Inks; Grungeboard, Grungepaper; Cut n' Dry nibs; Gold Metallic Paint Dabber; Glossy Accents

Misc.:  Dreamweaver's stencil paste, Craf-T Metallic Rubons, Micron Pigment Pen, Sizzix Leafy Stem die, Hero Arts Printer's Lowercase alphabet stamps, Lucky Squirrel Black Shrink Plastic, Brilliance Gold Ink, brads, twill tape, metal-rimmed tag, rusty wire, chipboard

Techniques:  Wrinkle Free Distress, Rusted Grunge, Altered Metal with Paint, Inking Grunge (Compendium of Curiosities)

Claudine Hellmuth:  Traditional Tan paint

My art project qualifies for the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge (anything goes) as well as the challenge on the Making Art! Challenge #24 on the EWV group (flower pot with flowers...any thing can be a flowerpot so, to repeat myself, anything goes!).  The truck (top) and face with crown (side) are my flower pots.

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous recycled piece, love it and you nearly have all the colours too, I still have a way to go LOL. Love the use of the stencil, the papers and stamped images. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Susan. I really love the way you did the journey as a stencil with the paste. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan! LOVE your altered box! What a wonderful way to store art supplies! Love every side of your box...always something interesting to see. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge.<3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so creative, I love how you altered this box and so nice to see something different submitted in the challenge... thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp-tember blog hop and treasure hunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love LOVE this, Susan!!! A wine box, huh? Where would I find one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is incredible. Seems like your mojo was just dying to be let out and busy again.

    Funny when I think of a wine box, I think of the wine Mike's dad used to buy. It came in a box with a spigot on the side and sat in their refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome Susan! Love the idea, and how cool the stains fit in there like that! Great idea for the MAC, thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete