Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Traveling companion

When I saw the theme of 'travel' on the Simon Says Stamp & Show blog this morning I had so many thoughts come into my head.  Unfortunately too many of them were too similar to those of the Design Team so I put my thinking cap on and came up with this bookmark.  You see, I'll be spending much of the rest of this week in the hospital where my husband will be recuperating from leg bypass surgery.  I'll definitely have plenty of time to catch up on my reading so why not have a fun bookmark to note where I left off?

Side 1



Side 2


Charms
 I cut a piece of Tim's license plate cardstock 2.5" x 7.5".  Using Tim's Air Travel stamps I chose the 3 background images and stamped them in Jet Black Archival on the reverse side.  Walnut Stain Distress Ink was smeared on both sides around the edges. 

I also cut 2 pieces (same measurements) from some scrap packaging (probably from one of Tim's dies).  Using Ranger's Glue N' Seal I applied the adhesive to both sides of the cardstock using the acrylic pieces as the bread of the sandwich.  I brayered it to make sure there were no air bubbles and that the edges were stuck good.  My Crop-a-dile punched the hole like a knife going through hot butter.

On shrink plastic I stamped the bicycle (Purely Random), sentiment (Lost & Found), and car and truck (The Journey) in archival inks (Saffron, Olive, Vermillion, Jet Black).  I stamped the plane (Air Travel) using Adirondack Slate.  Won't do that again as it didn't dry well and smeared.  The images were cut out, had holes punched in them, then shrunk using a Heat-It tool.  They were attached to the bookmark using a hinge clip and jump rings.

Let me tell you, this is one s-t-u-r-d-y bookmark!  So much better than heat laminated ones like I've made in the past.  This should survive all the use and abuse it will get this week without any problems.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Susan. Your travel bookmark is darling! I totally love both sides of the bookmark and the charms you have dangling off of the top...perfect! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bookmark - I love that license plate paper! :) The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT idea Susan, as always! Looks fantastic, love those charms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! The details! WOW! Love the bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat charms!! I like the different sides too!

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! love how you made it :))) wish your hubby all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and love the little charms. the colours are so lovely too
    fab work
    hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous bookmark, Susan!!! Glad the surgery went well and hopefully you'll be home soon with no problems at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! I love the charms on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, Susan! And the packaging/sealing is such a great idea to make it more sturdy. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Meanwhile I thought for sure I was a follower but see I'm not... off to remedy that situation right now!

    ReplyDelete