Wednesday, August 10, 2011

An artist is a person who...

uses her new Wendy Vecchi stamp set on this week's challenge for the Yahoo group!  Yup, I won 'Speaking of Art' on Wendy's blog a few weeks ago.  The challenge comes from Wendy's project in Book 1, Page 30.  Specifically we're to use 2 border strips and have a scallop edge on the project.


First I played with the Pigment Ink resist technique on the tag.  Tumbled Glass DI was smeared all over it to bring out the background pattern (Well Worn Art).  The scallop edge was stamped using 'Just Sew Artsy'; I cut around the scallop so you could see the Dried Marigold edge underneath.  I created 2 border strips (also from 'Just Sew Artsy') and smeared Dried Marigold DI all over them, Frayed Burlap DI was used along the edges.  Before adhering them to the tag I elevated them with additional cardstock.  Three orange buttons were glued onto the buttonhole border.  Frayed Burlap DI was added to the edges of the tag.  Martha Stewart ribbons were smeared with Antique Linen Distress Stain (love this stuff!!!!!), misted with water, wadded up then allowed to dry.  Doncha love that pencil?  It's also from 'Speaking of Art' and was stamped on Clearly for Art in Jet Black Archival Ink.  I did heat set the ink before applying Adirondack markers to the reverse side (Stonewashed, Ginger, and Red Pepper) and also Saffron Archival Ink.  Heat set again...this can take awhile...don't panic.  I also work in front of a fan and I think this helps.  To soften the colors and fill in any missed spots I plopped Snow Cap paint dabber all over the colors.  Heat set to dry thoroughly.  Cut out and position over an orange stick (or small dowel) to form (want it to look like a real pencil).  Claudine Hellmuth's Matte Medium holds it down on the tag.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Susan!! Just keep reminding me to get that stamp set - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tag, Susan! As I've said before, totally love the button edge! And the pencil...SUPERB! Love the idea of using a dowel to form it, great idea! Thanks for joining the MAC, and for being the first this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, your tag is exquisite! Love love LOVE all the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a gorgeous tag! No wonder you won.

    ReplyDelete