Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Anything goes with rock candy

Yes, ANYTHING!  This may look like an ordinary wood box (5.75"x4.75"x3.25") but it's not.  Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of my father's death and I've been trying to figure out how to decorate the box that contains his ashes.
I used Walnut Stain Distress Stain all over the exterior of the box but knew it was not what I wanted.  I then wiped down a watered Snow Cap Pigment Ink over that and was very pleased with the new color.  Kind of like the wood was pickled.  The inside was painted with Claudine Hellmuth's Traditional Tan paint with a bit of watered down Espresso Color Wash over that for an uneven tone. 

The top is adorned with 3 faux wood block letters (Maya Road), a patriotic piece from Tim Holtz's Seasonal Stash, and leaves, bark, mica and a twig.  I did coat the leaves with Claudine's Multi-Medium (matte) for a longer-lasting finish.  The patriotic piece was adhered to chipboard, sanded, smeared with Rock Candy Crackle Paint, Walnut Stain Distress Ink wiped over that and metal corners were added for protection.  Let me explain the significance of these items.

When my dad left the service it was as a Colonel in the Army Reserves.  He was very proud to serve his country.  While he never saw active duty abroad, he was ready if they should call him.  The natural materials are an equally important part of his life.  When my dad retired he worked for the parks department in their community.  He was so well liked and his job performance was such that the park was eventually named for him.  He took pride in everything he did and it showed.
Wendy's stamps from Evidence of Art were a perfect fit for this keepsake.  The sentiment (stamped with Jet Black Archival Ink edged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink) on top portrays many of his feelings.  The license plates are from the Seasonal Stash sticker book.  These are the states he lived in during his lifetime.  The tree was stamped in Coffee Archival Ink.  I took my pinky and dabbed it into Pale Ochre, Monarch Orange, Crimson, Sienna and Olive Archival Inks to show off the leaves.  I squirted Rock Candy Distress Stickles on my craft sheet and once again dipped my pinky into it and touched each of the colored leaves.  Fortunately my pinky was a perfect fit!  The label holder is by Creative Impressions and the label has his birth and death years.

The photo frame was a glossy blonde - yuk!  I sanded some of the gloss off and ran the Walnut Stain Distress Stain over it, waited a moment or two, then wiped off the excess.  I love how this looks!  And this little guy is my dad!  I don't think he was even 1 at the time (1930).

I'm really, really pleased with how this turned out and I think he would be too.  I hope that the folks over at Simon Says Stamp & Show (Anything Goes challenge) and Linda (Grungy Monday - Rock Candy Crackle Paint and/or Distress Stickles challenge) think so as well.  And a big thank you to TimWendy, and Ranger for such awesome products and stamps!

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful piece and a lovely and touching tribute to your father.
    xoxo
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. truly a labor of love; something to treasure--I love the significance of everything that you used. just beautiful, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute! Your box is beautiful and I enjoyed reading about your father. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lettering really very nice sentiment for your father (the box that is) Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful piece and lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful piece! I'm sure he would love it, Susan! Love all the techniques you used, it's fantastic! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, this is wonderful!! A beautiful tribute to your dad - I love the significance of each of the details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHH MY....what a wonderful tribute to your dad. Sounds like he was a WONDERFUL MAN...and oh the memories you have to cherish!! How fitting to create such a BEAUTIFUL box for him!!

    THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with the TEAMIES and SIMON SAYS STAMP AND SHOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your project Susan - what a loving tribute to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a touching project! It is also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete