Saturday, March 26, 2011

Scallop frame and a grungepaper flower

That's the theme for the latest challenge on the EWV Yahoo group.  Took me awhile to get going on this; I don't know why but it did.  I was wanting to use a set that hadn't seen ink in quite some time.  This set gets to me.  I think it's the flower only being a partial image and it has polka dots.  I'm not a fan of polka dots but will use them on occasion.

The scallop frame was sent to me; I just inked up the sueded surface with Pumice Stone DI and added some dots along the edge.  The blue-toned backing is from Tim's 'Shabby Chic' paper stash and has the background image from Wendy's Funky Flower Art stamped in Coffee Archival ink over it.

The grungepaper flower (same set) was colored with Broken China but I didn't like that so I added Sunshine Yellow and Butterscotch pigment inks as well as a shimmery spray. 

The chipboard key was painted black then covered with Peeled Paint Distress Crackle Paint and hit again with black ink.  The leaves are a set of wings that are now blue and turquoise.  I think it was a drunken technique from last year.  Makes a great set of leaves when you're trying to use some pre-made items that you haven't thrown away because they're too good for that.  lol 

The sentiment (same set) was stamped in Black Archival ink on a coffee stained tag.  I think the little blackbird is a Martha Stewart punch.

I was really wanting something brighter and cheerier to match the daffodils blooming outside but that obviously didn't happen.  Seeing any sort of blooming flowers right now makes me happy.  Grungepaper ones will have to do for now. 

By the way, I was quite skeptical that this would work but after much effort (even developing a blister) of adding hot water and stirring, I was finally able to get all my (old style) paint dabbers reconstituted.  Some were rock hard so I was surprised at those the most.  Of course, my favorite colors were the most affected by the drying out.  I can only think that time and lack of use caused them to harden or dry up.  All is well now, that's all that matters. 

5 comments:

  1. Looks great Susan... the wings were a divine idea for petals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Susan, that flower and frame look spectacular. Hot water and stirring to release the paint dabbers, eh? I'm having issues with the snow cap right now. Seems like it's too thick to flow thru the valve, so I might just try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful, and wings for leaves is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried hot water - but will do as most of my dabbers are very thick or as you found, dried so thanks for that. I love your challenge piece!

    ReplyDelete