So I've been playing around a tiny bit with Tim Holtz's new Distress Oxide inks by Ranger. I only have these colors - Fossilized Amber, Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain - because I was pretty sure from Creativation demos that I wanted them more for the organic look they could/would create. Love the look of stone, moss, rust, etc. and these are perfect for masculine cards or creating embellishments.
I tried them on Ranger's black tags. YUK! And double YUK! The tags completely bleached out and despite numerous layers of color I still got nothing. Perhaps if I had the other colors they would make a difference. I do have them on order so that retrial will be upcoming.
So I brought out 3 surfaces I haven't used in quite some time, one was a 'never used this before' product (Sizzix leather sheets). First up is glassine. Remember it?
Because this surface isn't very porous it took a bit more to heat set the colors before I could mist it. I reached the point I was happy with the result then crumpled it up and gently rubbed Walnut Stain over the top, heat set, then hit it with water. Love the mossy look of the Peeled Paint droplets!
Next up are Sizzix leather sheets. I figured they would be great for the distress inks but not so sure how the oxides would appear. The distress inks are on the left, the oxides on the right. I used Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade and Walnut Stain. A subtle difference and am happy with both.
I will definitely be using these to make flowers, leaves, etc. as the sheets are super pliable, soft but sturdy.
I hope you've enjoyed seeing my trials and hearing about my tribulations on this new ink. They really 'shine' on Ranger's heavy duty cardstock so I made sure to get plenty of that on hand for future efforts.