Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Yet another sympathy card

August seems to have picked up where July left off...needing another sympathy card.  One of my mom's cousins died at the age of 88.  She was a lot of fun and quite the colorful character so I had no problem with using a more vibrant color palette to create sympathy cards for her offspring and older brother.

Onto mixed media cardstock I painted Distress Collage Medium (matte) and let it air dry.  Various distress crayons were scribbled across the page...see the texture that comes from leaving brush strokes in the collage medium?  Next I threw water droplets onto the cardstock and pressed a paper towel over them, thereby removing the color underneath.  I chose Stampers Anonymous Wildflowers CMS253 and Mini Bouquet CMS269 and Rose Madder and Cactus Flower archival inks to add a bit more color and interest.  The words are from a My Sentiments Exactly stamp (S146-10) and were stamped in Jet Black Archival Ink.

The card front is backed with a black layer onto a fuschia-hot pink colored card base that is white inside.  I find that colored card insides are sometimes difficult for the message to be easily read.  If necessary I'll type, stamp or handwrite my message on white or pale cardstock and adhere as an internal layer.

I'm not a big fan of these distress crayons and don't see myself replacing them when they're gone.  That being said, they are a different medium to use experimentally...something I need to do more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment