Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Let's just sit and play

Here are 3 tags I created recently featuring some techniques I'd seen and wanted to try.



Glue 'N Seal is a wonderful product to adhere old book pages to tags...no bubbles, dries flat...just fabulous.  I gave the page a hit or miss coat of white paint; dried it then added blue distress ink.  Once satisfied, I wiped off the blue ink from the white paint (acts as a resist).  The daisy was stamped in Jet Black archival ink and I quickly added superfine black embossing powder over the image; heat emboss.  More distress inks were used to color the daisy.  The background stamp was covered with Fern Green archival ink and sporadically stamped around the tag.  Wendy's black embossing paste was used with her Classic Words stencil; let air dry.  Using her Sunburst stencil I colored in the rays with yellow and orange distress inks.  Mustard Seed Distress Stickles was added.  Once dry I drew around the daisy and sunburst with the graphite pencil and used my finger to smudge the lines to create shadow and definition.  A distressing tool was run around the edges before brown distress ink was added for dimension.                  

On the 2nd tag I smeared brown distress paint with an old brush; let dry then topped with various brown distress inks.  I then ran it through the Sizzix Wood Planks embossing folder; Walnut Stain Distress Ink was used on the raised portions.  From brown scraps I cut a rectangle and an oval and edged both with gold paint.  From the rectangle I cut Sizzix Celebration Words: Block and backed it with a black rectangle.  From scraps of brown and black cardstock I die cut Sizzix Friendship Words: Script.  Sizzix mini female bust was cut from black cardstock and adhered to the oval.
On tag 3 I just started pulling and playing.  I pulled out the Scribbles, Splotches and Wildflower stencils by Tim Holtz.  Using mini distress ink pads I colored the Scribbles stencil, misted it and the tag, then placed the tag on the stencil and pressed firmly to transfer the ink to the tag.  Heat set or air dry.  I placed the Splotches over the dry tag and added white distress paint in some of the splotches.  Once dry I drew around them with a graphite pencil and smudged the lines to create depth.  Over this I placed the Wildflower stencil and covered it with Texture Paste.   After it air-dried I colored the paste with distress markers and pads.  Shadows were created by using the graphite pencil at the base of the flowers and leaves and the left sides of the stems.  I drew faint lines around the tag using the graphite pencil and smudged them with a damp fingertip.  'Giggle' was stamped in Jet Black Archival Ink and rub-ons were added.  What about those butterflies?  Black cardstock, archival inks and powders...a technique courtesy of Wendy Vecchi.  Very cool and soooo many color combinations!
 
All in all I'd say it was a rather productive play session, wouldn't you?

1 comment:

  1. I love how the wood grain looks. I'm a sucker for butterflies so of course, that one is adorable.

    ReplyDelete