Monday, May 11, 2015

Dog tag necklace and earrings

When I saw Shelly Hickox's dog tag tutorial I just knew it was something I wanted to create for myself...and maybe for future gifts.  I used an old Sizzix big red scallop combo tag die and the same metal flashing.  For safety I did sand the edges a bit to ensure there were no rough spots to cause problems later.

I used Tim's Wildflower Stencil and Wendy's gold embossing paste.  My base embossing powders are Wendy's Sky Blue and Cornflower Blue.  They really resemble the sky, don't they?  The golds are from Ranger - Tarnished Gold (more brown in it) and Pale Gold.  I wanted a bit of contrast between the two. 

The dragonfly charm was silver but Cornflower Blue archival ink changed that quickly...along with a bit of Tim's gold paint.  I didn't like the way it dangled on the jump ring so it was adhered to the tag with Multi-Medium.

When I was at the thrift store not too long ago I spotted these pearl earrings for a quarter.  Archival inks wouldn't stick to the slick surface so I added some alcohol inks, more archival ink and some dabs of gold and tumbled glass distress paint. 

Can't wait to wear them this weekend when I attend my youngest niece's high school graduation and my youngest nephew's medical school graduation. 

2 comments:

  1. these look great! bet you got lots of compliments!
    nice tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, Susan! I'm so glad you were inspired to try the tutorial. Love this!

    ReplyDelete