Monday, August 20, 2012

Chunky medium*

I used to love creating ATCs but after 7 3" binders were filled with art from around the world, I decided to cool my heels for a bit.  And then along comes the idea of making a chunky ATC.  A what?  It's a 2"x4" that really isn't 2"x4" at all.  It actually measures 1.5"x3.5" and if you cut a 2.5" length you have a chunky ATC.  I don't know who thought this up but it's lots of fun...4 sides and the top to decorate.  Guess you could include the bottom as another surface but since it's usually hidden from view I just use that space for my name and other pertinent info.

This month over on the EWV Yahoo group I am hosting a swap for this newer medium.  They needed to be received by the end of the month but I was waiting to get my hands on Wendy Vecchi's new brick stencil so I could create mine.  I was super lucky and won it on Wendy's blog last week so today I had to get my act together and get busy.

Without further ado, here is the one I will be mailing Deb.  The young lady in the window (from Tim's 'Lost & Found' paper stash) reminds me of Deb.

Front

Side 1

Back

Side 2

















Studio 490 stamp sets:  Ticket To Art (leaf stem), Seriously Art (eyes), The Essence Of Art (side view, sentiments), Art Of Inspiration (woodgrain); brick stencil, Outdoor Art Art Parts (fence cut into sections), Scallop Trim (cut into sections)

Blossom Bucket:  door, window

Ranger:  Lake Mist, Sandal, Pebble paint dabbers (grout); Walnut Stain, Peeled Paint, Black Soot distress inks; Olive, Jet Black archival inks; Vintage Photo distress marker (used on door and window frame); Sticky Back Canvas; Picket Fence distress stain; clear embossing ink and powder; Antique Linen distress stickles (shingles); Black Enamel Accents; Matte Multi Medium

Tim Holtz/Sizzix:  mini butterfly die; Damask embossing folder

Ten Seconds Studio: periwinkle metal sheet (butterfly)

Misc.:  DecoArt Country Red Texture Magic (bricks), flower, shrink plastic (eyes, leaf stem), colored pencils (leaf stem), clear packaging (window on door, floor plans on side view), black cardstock, house number

This was the first time I had played with the Blossom Bucket pieces and it won't be the last!  They take color from Tim's distress markers so well...no need to leave them the original color.

It was hard to hold the stencil on the wood block so some of the brick paste got under the stencil - I'd make a poor bricklayer if this was my only opportunity to share it with the world.  Like using any other stencil, you need to apply it carefully.  The red really stands out if there's an 'oops'.  Heavy sigh.

*chunky medium sounds like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it?  oh well.

9 comments:

  1. Susan, this is an awesome chunky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb will flip! The girl does look exactly like her!
    LOVE how the bricks turned out...
    this looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did amazing! Love the brick!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brick, but oh my gosh, the roof is fabulous! Love the door and the little girl peeking out! How fun! Fab job Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Susan, it's wonderful! Deb will LOVE it. I love the chick looking through the window and your awesome roof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Susan! The bricks are perfect - and she DOES look like Deb! Good catch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous job, Susan, she will love it! Love how you used the brick stencil, way cool!

    ReplyDelete