Sunday, July 19, 2015

Faking it

Recently a challenge was issued on the Gingerwood bulletin board (must be a member to participate) to create a winter holiday card using non-holiday stamps or create a non-holiday card using winter holiday stamps.  I opted to create 3 holiday cards using non-holiday stamps.  There was an 'oops' moment when I created a fall card first but that happens.  Sigh.


White card base, gold vellum, white card layer

Hickory Smoke Distress Ink on music background (CMS048 Festive Sounds); overstamp 'Christmas Carols' (CMS048 Festive Sounds) with gold pigment ink, heat set with gold embossing powder

The Fake Poinsettia features a starfish (CMS194 Nautical Blueprints) stamped numerous times using red ink on red mulberry paper.  It was stamped in green ink on green mulberry paper.  Using a roller ball I furled the petals and leaves.  From a tag used to create a yellow-y background I punched a snowflake 3 times and layered it with pop dots.

Yellow card base, black layer, white layer left over from a previous project

The arrows are actually Christmas trees from a Dylusions border stamp (Christmas Borders DYR 35824).  I painstakingly covered each star on top of each tree with paper tape and inked up the stamp using Snow Cap Pigment Ink.  The tape was removed quickly but carefully so I could stamp the image twice, in two directions.  The second stamping was a bit light so I went over it using a white Gelly Roll pen.

My fall card features a flower (Lower Case Art LCS019) that was stamped three times in orange ink on three scraps of orange cardstock.  The images were cut out and layered with foam tape.  The fake leaves are a small butterfly (CMS123 Attic Treasures) stamped twice on green cardstock and cut out.

The background is a floral filigree stamp (Botanical Art LCS037) that I colored with Peeled Paint and Brushed Corduroy Distress Markers, huffed, then stamped onto the white card base.  The images looked bolder than I wanted so I made an outside card using vellum.  And here's a neat find...I smeared Ranger's Glue Stick all over the card front in a thin layer...and it does NOT show through the vellum!!!  except for that small spot on the lower right..oops! because I got it too thick.  sigh. 

Using black permanent ink I stamped 'Happy Halloween' (Spooky Stuff CMS068) and the spider (Botanical Art LCS037).

I hope these samples encourage you to look at your stamps beyond their obvious intentions.


No comments:

Post a Comment