Friday, September 3, 2010

Simply create art, Studio 490 style

I recently hosted a tag swap on the EWV Yahoo group.  There were 22 participants from 14 states and 3 European countries.  Everyone was assigned a tag (3 sizes, vertical or horizontal position) and asked to make 12, 11 to swap and 1 for the super designer, Wendy Vecchi.  Her displays are being mailed today.

The inspiration for this swap came from one that Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire did earlier this year.  I also opted for 12"x12" canvas for my display.  First I treated the canvas to a coat of my own version of Claudine's Trad Tan.  After many, many swipes of various distress inks and archival inks I stamped several of Wendy's images (from the newest release) on the base and sides.  I glued on Tim's gold corners before I started arranging the tags.

Once the tags were arranged I made a diagram of the layout, the artist's name and their location.  I slipped the corners into photo corners then glued the whole thing onto the back of the canvas.  I also added a picture frame hanger so it was wall-ready.

Behind each tag is foam tape.  I really liked how it made the tags pop out on the lighter background.  It also made it easier for some elements to flow into the adjacent tags. 
I didn't feel I need many embellishments but I did add some Maya Road chipboard words that were inked with several distress inks, then pen-stitched around each letter so you could easily read the words.  A TH muse charm and 2 small frames hold the computer-generated words '490' and 'style'.  Glossy Accents were applied to make them pop. 


Hosting this swap was a lot of fun and I hope to do it again when more artists have managed to snag a few of Wendy's latest stamps for their collections.  Thank you everybody for such inspiring work and to Wendy, a super designer of red rubber!


I really wish that in the preview it looked the way it would look IRL.  All this reformatting just gets lost in the final version.  Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. excellent work, this is gorgeous
    hugs June xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this finished work of art, and whilst I couldn't take part in this one, I hope to next time round! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out to be a fantastic wall hanging. I still haven't found time to put mine together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, really cool Susan! And you had to make two! Thanks so much for doing that! I'm sure Wendy will just love them! It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have admired every single version of this project that I have seen! is there a template somewhere?

    ReplyDelete