Friday, January 25, 2013

Not your typical Valentine

Here's another card I'm submitting to the EverythingWendyVecchi Yahoo group's latest challenge which features using the Pop 'N Cuts system, a heart, some glitter, and at least one Studio 490 stamp.  If you don't have the Pop 'N Cuts system you can use anything dimensional on the inside.  I found a product I'd forgotten about...Popeze PopBlocks...in one of my drawers.  They will let me add dimension without the die cut.  These are clear acrylic strips that are sticky on one side and when shaped are like a block.  You could easily make your own from coordinating card stock.  They have 2 other products that are similar; you should check them out if you'd like to add a pop out to your card's interior.

For the outside of the base card I added brown distress ink around the edge of the card.  On the layer I smeared brown and peacock feathers distress ink all over then pressed the foam pad down to leave rectangles of color.  Water droplets were thrown about and heat set.  Over this I placed some mesh drywall tape and smeared more of these inks through it...instant stencil!  Then I pulled out another tool....long forgotten...Stampers Anonymous stencils.  Under 'Accessories' choose 'Masks & Stencils' then scroll down until you come to these brown paper stencils.  They are impervious to anything I've put through them...inks (waterbased and archival), stencil paste, etc.  I smeared brown distress ink through 2 of them and Studio 490 silver embossing paste through the middle one.  Heat to dry, cover with diluted Stream Paint Dabber and edge with a brown distress marker.  Smear with your finger to highlight and age.  Cool, huh?  Four small brown snaps were placed in the corners (more forgotten items used!).

Now for the inside where the PopBlock is used.  I stamped the boy (Studio 490 -Art For Men) in Jet Black Archival and colored him with distress markers.  Cut him out then chopped off his legs (sorry little fella!) to make him fit.  Behind him is the PopBlock.  In his hand he's holding a heart (Studio 490 - Art From The Heart) balloon out of Adirondack kraft core core'dinations cardstock.

Below the young man is Tim's Harlequin border cut from more Adirondack kraft core core'dinations.  I sanded it while all in one piece (put some tissue tape on the back to hold it together).  I drew around the center diamonds with Aqua Stickles.  Once dry I wrote 'Happy Valentine's Day' using the Black Soot distress marker then misted it so the ink would run.

I love using dark turquoise and browns together, especially for a masculine card!


2 comments:

  1. This is very cool ... and very YOU.. love the way your creative mind works. You are so out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous card, Susan... such a neat surprise inside!

    ReplyDelete